Ontario will be “setting up checkpoints” along its borders with Manitoba and Quebec in a bid to limit the spread of the third wave of the coronavirus across the province, Premier Doug Ford announced Friday.
At a news conference, the premier said the province is struggling in its battle “between the variants and vaccines” and that stronger measures were necessary to curb the spread of COVID-19 and its variants of concern.
Ontario Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said the changes along the provincial borders would take effect at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, April 19. Jones said incoming travellers not meeting a list of prescribed exceptions will be turned back.
It was also announced Friday that Ontario will extend an existing stay-at-home order to last six weeks, instead of the planned four — a move a panel of experts had publicly recommended earlier in the day.
The province is also giving police new powers to enforce public health orders, with police having the authority to ask anyone outside their residence to indicate their purpose for leaving home and to provide their address. That includes stopping vehicles.
The new police measures drew immediate condemnation from civil liberties activists
Source: CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2021